Monday, August 10, 2020

#MyMoneyStaysLocal - How am I doing?

 

 

So, let's see how I can improve my number.

Where can I get what?

 

Once I grabbed my bank statements I was surprised to find that a whole bunch of my purchases could be done easily, and not necessarily more expensively, locally.  Granted, some things, like printer paper, was a little challenging to find from other than a big chain, but, so much else is available!

I know that making a habit is an important step in behavior change.  And, I want my reflex to be on local not online or at a chain.

So, I started by looking at frequent purchases and mapping out where I can get the same items locally.

  • Health Foods/Organic Markets - Peggy's, Healthfully Yours, Planet Ozone
  • Bowls & Smoothies - Ital Bowls, 3Natives
  • Good Olive Oil - Two Olive Trees
  • Produce - Palm City Produce
  • Fish - New England Seafood 
  • Fresh Herbs for the Garden - Pinder's Nursery
  • Dog Treats/Food - Wagnolia's, City Dog, City Dog
  • Pandemic dresses for Working From Home - Downtown Stuart

Independent restaurants may be the hardest hit business in our area.  They are truly struggling and many of them will not survive.  Social distanced eating is a particular challenge for small restaurants whose margins are already razor thin. 

I very much want them to survive and I look forward to the day when I can have a leisurely meal in their dining rooms.  So, I built a list of my favorite restaurants that offer takeout and/gift cards and put them on my rotation of dining options.  

 Stay tuned for next month when I run my numbers again!